Saturday 21 July 2012

Islam FIRST, Malay culture SECOND

There are so many Malaysians who study abroad and it is a great opportunity to spread your wings, to learn about other people's cultures and attitudes. When I was abroad I was exposed to Muslims from all over the world and it taught me that Islam is universal...there are Muslims who are white, black, brown from all over the globe and we all share the same Aqeedah, the principals of shahadah applies to all, we pray the same way, we fast the same way, and we all love Allah SWT and the Prophet SAW.

However, I also learned that there is a difference between culture and Islam...what is within the culture of that particular nation or race does not necessarily come from Islam. Hence, it got me to realize that many of the culture and traditions practiced in Malaysia is not from Islam, the ideas, attitudes and opinions are not from Islam and that I do not need to abide by those ideas, attitudes, opinions and behavior to be Islamic. I can be different and I do not need to conform. That knowledge liberated me as I have always been one of those who rebelled from the norms of the Malay culture. Now, I can be different...I can be who I want to be and most importantly, I can be whom Allah SWT wants me to be without adhering to cultural norms. That is one of the liberating aspects of going abroad.

First of all, living in the UK it taught me that I am a Muslim and my bond and relationship with the people around me is defined by the fact that I have chosen to say "la ilaha illAllah, Muhammadur Rasulullah". My loyalty is only to Allah SWT and to Islam. My race is only something I was born into but it bears no relevance to who I am and what I want to be. The Muslims in the UK taught me that the bond of our Aqeedah extends beyond the bonds of race and kinship. We are truly ONE UMMAH, the Ummah of Muhammad SAW. Hence, although I have no qualms in admitting and recognizing that I am a Malay. The Malay race is a wonderful race with rich history and traditions but take what is good and leave the bad. I am grateful to Allah SWT that he has created me the way I am, the way I look, my skin colour and gave me my wonderful parents but I am not defined by being one. I am defined by the fact that I am a Muslim and I am proud to be a Muslim

Secondly, Muslims come in all shapes, colours and sizes. Muslims come from the west, east, south and north. There are white converts, black converts, Chinese converts and there are Muslims from Africa, South America, Russia, Europe, Middle East and South East Asia. Some have blond hair and blue eyes and some have the darkest of skin but they are all the same, they all love Allah SWT and the Prophet Muhammad SAW. None is better than the other; and none have the advantage or disadvantage from one another. Allah SWT only judge us from our taqwa, our obedience to Him. 

Thirdly, Muslims from all over the world have their own culture and norms but it doesn't make it right or wrong. They have their own traditional dish, their own traditional clothes, own languages and accents, their own views on marriage and family life...but in the end, it doesn't matter cause the only thing that matters is what Allah SWT says is right or wrong for e.g. in some cultures, women are not allowed to work but that is a culture that has sprung from somewhere other than Islam. If Islam says a woman is allowed to work, it doesn't matter what the culture dictates.

Fourthly, Muslims have different characteristics and personalities...there is not ONE TEMPLATE on how a person has to behave. When I was in the UK, I had so many Muslim friends from all over the world. Some talk a lot, some are quiet, some are highly opinionated, some are shy, some are harsh and some are soft, some are domineering and some prefer to take the back seat but at the end of the day, they are all Islamic in their personalities. There is no such thing as this one template fits all...this so called ONE well defined 'Muslimah' character that all women have to aspire to be. In fact, we saw this during the time of the Prophet SAW e.g. Aishah r.a was a strong person with a strong opinions, Khaulah was a brave person who stood up against her own husband when she felt he did something wrong, Fatimah was a shy person. Asma' was a brave and intelligent person. Every woman had their own strength in character.

Finally, what I have learned from being abroad is the strength of IDENTITY. There should be no identity crisis within us. Our race is simply a race but our identity is Islam. Our guide is the Qur'an and Sunnah. We can take what is good and in adherence to Islam within our culture but any part of the culture that is in contradiction to Islam should be rejected. If Islam says it is allowed, if Islam says it is okay then, there is nothing that culture can say to make it 'bad' or 'wrong'. If Islam says it is haraam then, there is nothing in the culture that can make it 'okay' or 'good'. If we refer to Qur'an and Sunnah then, things will be okay but if we start to divert...to fight for culture and race and asabiyyah (nationalism, tribalism) then we will definitely lose.


These things I've learned I will hold on to inshaAllah until the end of time...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...