Saturday 21 January 2012

How much I love...

My previous post is about how much I miss my life in England...
This post is about how much I love my new life in Malaysia...

I love waking up at the same time every morning to the call of sweet Adhan, how beautiful it is to wake up remembering that our life in this world is to worship Allah SWT.

KLCC Twin Towers

I love my journey to work, to view the amazing KLCC Twin Towers everyday, a postcard scenery. The cotton wool clouds above the hills and the sun rising from behind it. To look up into the sky sometimes and see an eagle gliding above.

I love having different jobs to do everyday, all my different roles...I'm a clinician, a teacher, a researcher, an administrator, a coordinator but best of all is having breakfast in the morning with my team members who are also my good friends.

My beautiful work place

I love seeing my patients who are ever so grateful to listen to my explanations, to hear me say 'you make me so happy cause your blood sugar is now controlled'. I know...sounds weird but that is the joys of being a doctor. To follow up someone from HbA1C of 10.0 and it goes down to 5.9, that really makes my day!

I love teaching my students and the look I get sometimes on their faces when I can see something had just made sense. They're not just absorbing or memorizing but something 'clicked' or a switch has been turned on. If I can make one person understand one thing or to spark a thought in someone...I feel that I have achieved something that day. 

I love sitting in my office, even though the air condition is freezing cold...listening to some music and doing my work, hiding inside my cave. It makes me feel like I'm back in England but reality hits me as soon as I leave the building and I'm greeted by the strong heat from the sun. 

I love spending weekends with my family, visiting relatives, attending weddings or going shopping. I've come to the conclusion that the Malaysian population census has been greatly underestimated. This is because no matter where I go, which ever shopping mall or supermarket or leisure centre, it doesn't matter if it is in Kuala Lumpur, Kota Bharu, Kuantan, Malacca or Johor bahru. It doesn't matter if it is Carrefour, Tesco, Jusco, KLCC Suria, Midvalley Mega Mall or Subang Parade...wherever I go, it is jammed packed with people. There's hardly any parking spaces and it just feels like the whole of Malaysia has followed me there.

Pulau Kapas, off Terengganu

I love going on holiday trips to visit the beautiful beaches on the East Coast of Malaysia and the Islands...white sandy beaches, big waves, strong cold wind...I just wish that the people would take more care to keep the beaches clean and to preserve its natural condition. Development is okay but we should never compromise cleanliness, safety and heritage for a miserly profit!

I love the fact that I can stop at any highway rest areas and there will be a 'surau' (prayer room) and the fact that there's hose pipes in the toilets...these little conveniences that make it easy for me to fulfill my needs as a Muslim.

I love that Maghrib is always around 7 - 7.30pm and I have a regular routine through out the whole year without having to get confused over prayer times and sleep cycle.

I love having breakfast at the Mamak shop, to have 'Tosai' and Teh tarik. To be able to go to almost any restaurant and it is halaal.

I love our beautiful home and all its amenities. To wake up in the morning listening to the birds singing.

There's so much to love...the food, the people, my family and friends...but it is so easy to get comfortable and complacent. So easy to forget to be  grateful to Allah SWT. To be aware of the suffering of the Muslim Ummah, to be concerned for their affairs, to remember them, to speak about them, to be their eyes, ears and voices, to sense their pain...

I do not want to be the part of the body that has been anaesthetised, that I can no longer feel the cut or pain inflicted upon the rest of the body. I am afraid to be complacent...to think that I can let my guard down... to think that I have Islam because I can hear the Adhan, see Masjid everywhere and wear hijab without the fear of discrimination. There is so much more about Islam that is not being fulfilled here...in society, in the rules and laws, in the system itself. I must never forget! I must never let my guard down and feel secure, because that in itself is a trap! Wherever I am....wherever I go...I must remember who I am, my duties and responsibilities towards Allah SWT, myself, my family, my community and the Ummah.


Home is where the heart is...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...