Friday 20 January 2012

How much I miss...

Two years on and I still remember what it was like to live in England. How I miss England and this is why:


I miss the cold winter days...the freezing cold where everything looks gray. It is so cold that you feel like your fingers and toes are about to drop off. I miss walking down the street in my winter coat and a scarf wrapped around my neck. Folding up the arms and walking briskly to warm myself up. I miss the feeling of entering the front door into a warm house with the heating on. Kicking off the shoes, boiling the kettle and making myself a hot cup of tea. Snuggling under the warm thick duvet.


I miss the months of spring...lying on the grass in a green meadow, picking the daffodils, watching the children run around and play and some people walking their dogs. The sun shines brightly but a cool wind sending chills that penetrate the bones.

I miss the taste of sweet and sour strawberries and blueberries. The taste of plain chocolates and one pound ninety nine chocolate cheese cakes. I miss our Sunday breakfast at mom in law's house with smoke salmon and cream cheese on toast. She makes the best muesli with strawberries, mangoes, plums and sunflower seeds. I miss our little chats...

I miss visiting Pa and Jen, walking along the stone beach and listening to the soft gentle waves. I miss the look of joy on the childrens' faces as we reached in front of their door.


I miss hubby's roast beef with roast potatoes and parsnips :) I miss sitting in front of the TV watching 'X-factor' or Have I got news for you, Question time, Doctor who, BBC news or some funny movie on a Saturday night.

I miss my friends, my sisters, our talks and discussions. I miss the laughter we shared...like the one that tipped me into labour when I was pregnant with my son cause I was laughing so much. The night before Eid ul Fitri and we were waiting for the announcement whether it was Eid or not, laughing so much that we thought it had to be Eid the next day cause the Syaitan must have been released! I miss the weddings and the parties. I miss the peaceful demonstrations, our marches along Edgware Road chanting slogans against the tyrant rulers. I miss praying by the road side undeterred by watchful eyes knowing that nothing can harm me without Allah's permission, knowing that I bow only to the One who Created me.



I miss those funny moments with my patients, such as when I was examining a white, tall, muscly seven foot man with back pain. Trying to find the location of the pain and every time I pressed on the painful spot, he kept jumping and saying "Ah...yes Dr, that is where it hurts". I miss my wonderful receptionists who never fail to make me a cup of tea in the morning before my surgery starts.

I miss my Gold Ford Focus, my very first car.



I miss the cold nights when the children are in bed, and you can hear the pitter patter rain drops on the window, chatting with hubby late into the night, dipping rich tea buiscuits and sipping a hot cup of tea.

I have so many memories, sweet memories of friends, colleagues and family. I loved working at the hospital, walking along the corridors at night during on calls, getting 'bleeped' every few minutes, attending emergencies, putting cannula and i.v fluids, seeing patients in emergency department, such hilarious colleagues. I miss Mr Panda who once explained to a patient "pain is what you feel, tenderness is what I feel". I remembered traveling alone on a night train from Scotland after visiting Glasgow university during my A-level days and ended up playing scrabble with 2 Scotsmen!

I share treasure every sweet memory, every painful memory,  every person, every struggle I faced during my 17 years in England. I shall treasure the fact that it was in England during my second year at University was when I found Islam, in a tiny prayer room at King's College London. I met the most incredible person, a young petite Muslim girl who approached me and chatted to me. She invited me to listen to some talks which opened my mind to the world of Islam...to think and understand the world, to apply Islam onto reality.

It was in England that I studied Medicine and became a doctor and met some of the best consultants and colleagues, who were completely down to earth, intelligent, humble and supportive.

It was in England that I met my sisters... they were my family when I had no family around me. We spent Eid together and they even helped me organize my wedding and made it all come true.

It was in England that I met my husband and had all my children...the day I held my first born in my arms was the happiest day of my life. Nothing can ever take away that moment.

I miss you England...you will remain in my memory always.


View next --> how much I love

3 comments:

  1. Read this, with my eyes open, the feeling is like a dream....Nice, real missing moment shared! TQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Salam DR. my name is Adam, me and my buddy have planning to find a any jobs in London in February 2017. do u think thats good idea?. if u dont mind to share some idea or anything i will really2 appreciate it . thanks cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Salam DR. my name is Adam, me and my buddy have planning to find a any jobs in London in February 2017. do u think thats good idea?. if u dont mind to share some idea or anything i will really2 appreciate it . thanks cheers

    ReplyDelete

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...