Wednesday 14 March 2012

How to renew your maid's visa in Malaysia without tears

I was totally and utterly amazed at how the process was made so quick and easy for employers.
If this is your first time renewing your maid's visa...
Don't fret! the process is mainly computerized with minimal forms to be filled.
Just make sure you complete the process within 3 months of the visa expiring.

The process is as below:

1. Go to FOMEMA which is at Pusat Bandar Damansara. (please see change of address in comments below) There is a single page form that you need to fill in. Choose the clinic that you would like to conduct the medical examination for your maid. The list is on the board at FOMEMA. You need to bring:

- Maid's passport
- Know her worker's no
- Bank draft - for fees amount, check with FOMEMA. At present for a female is RM190.
- Photocopy of Maid's passport and visa.

new Fomema address is: Changed 25/2/2014
Menara Takaful
level 1, No 4
jalan Sultan Sulaiman
Tel: 03 227222711


The process took virtually half an hour for me. I was given a computer slip to be brought to my chosen clinic.

2. Go to the chosen clinic. The clinic will perform the standard test of checking the urine, Xray, blood and doctor assessment. The process takes around 2-3 hours but you can leave your maid there and go shopping. You can check the results at FOMEMA website within 7-10 days. If your maid has passed her medical examination, the results will say 'proceed to immigration'.

3. Go to immigration. I chose to go to the one at Sri Hartamas which has become my favourite hang out place. The immigration department is within the Kementerian Dalam Negeri (KDN) building adjacent to Mahkamah Syariah. The only problem is lack of parking space but if you're the 'love to walk' type, you can simply park at the Mahkamah Syariah and walk over.

You do not need to fill in any forms. Just bring your maid's passport and your IC. Go to the number counter and take a number. I had to wait around 30-40 minutes but waiting is not a problem when you have a good book to read. When my number was called, I handed over the documents. The lovely immigration officer was very efficient and friendly. She told me to go to the payment counter. You need to check with immigration for the fees. The fees is dependent on the maid's country of origin. I had to pay RM495.00!!!

After completing payment, I handed the passport back to the nice and friendly immigration officer and within 5-10 minutes she returned the passport to me with the visa. I was like..."It's done? Wow! that was quick!"

I don't know what happened but for the first time since I returned to Malaysia, I have to say to a government department, well done for being efficient and for a good experience.

Oh! and if you ever go to Sri Hartamas immigration, you must stop over at Solaris Dutamas which is almost opposite of the KDN building, after the traffic light cross junction by Jalan Duta. It has nice restaurants and coffee shops; just a nice place to hang out with friends.




16 comments:

  1. The Pusat Bandar Damansara Office is now only for appeal cases.
    FOMEMAs new office is located at:
    D4-31-8, Jalan Dutamas
    Solaris Dutamas, 50480 KL
    Tel: 03-62054111
    Mondays to fridays 8.30am to 5.30am
    They do not accept cash. Only bank draft, money order, postal orders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For 2013 the process has not changed still as straight forward as last year. However, the new Fomema centre is at Solaris Dutamas Block D4 level 3A. when I went it was open during lunch hour so very convenient for employers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- You seem to be quite knowledgable in this area, so thought I'd see if you know the answer. We're leaving KL next month and have found a lovely family to transfer our fantastic maid to - but not sure how to go about it. I've heard we'll need a letter of release/transfer for her to carry and then will need to cancel or "shorten" her visa with Immigration (ie get her off ours, so that she can be attached to the other persons...). Do you know anything about this? Thanks in advance for any insights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your query. I am no expert in this matter and only write based on my personal experience. I have not come across your situation but I'm sure there is a mechanism to transfer a maid if all parties agree. I find the immigration at Jalan Duta helpful and it is not so busy. It might be worth giving them a call and ask about the necessary process. I'm sorry if I am unable to provide more information. Hope all works out for you.

      Delete
    2. Hello The Pregnant Husband

      did you manage to transfer your maid? do you mind to share the experience?

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the detailed process! I managed to save on agency fees and the process was painless! The permit renewal fees for a filipino maid is now RM550!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charis, my filipino maid is going back for christmas holiday and will return to Msia in Jan 2014. I heard that I need to prepare some sort of letter to Philippines embassy to inform of her return. Do you have any idea? Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I went to the Hartamas KDN office at 1.40pm today to renew my indonesian maid's work permit. This is her 5th year and as such there is no need for Fomema. I was the only one there when I got there, took my number at 1.47pm and was done at 1.56pm!!!! 9 Minutes!!! Really amazing. Beats paying the agent 900 bucks to do this for me. It cost me RM495.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i need a gardener I have a indian national whose employer has cheated his work permit renewal fees a,d have left him. His permit has expired?
    How can I employ him as a gardener? His former permit was plantation worker?
    Please help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Please help! anyone with information out there.

      Delete
  7. Dear readers, I have found out recently that direct transfer of maid from one employer to another is not allowed if the maid has worked for more than a year. Once the maid's contract has expired, he/she must return to country of origin before/on the visa expiry date with a cooling period of 3 months before re-entering the country and applying as a new visa to work with a new employer. Please correct me if this information is inaccurate. TQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello.... Dutamas address is no more.

    new Fomema address is:
    Menara Takaful
    level 1, No 4
    jalan Sultan Sulaiman
    Tel: 03 227222711

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi my maid recently came up to me with this idea of being transferred to another employer she found offering 2k salary and requesting I help her since our contract about to end anyway and she did wish to continue.Do I renew my permit for her then transfer by then it won't be an end of a contract to transfer and it will be a new contract to do so.
    Is this legal ...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi anngee Ng, I got it checked when my maid too wanted to continue her contract with me but work with someone else, at the time we WERE NOT ALLOWED to transfer permit. The maid has to go back to home country first and then new employer has to make new application. Some people suggest that they can use your permit but the maid will work for them and they pay the maid's monthly salary. That is risky as you do not know if anything happens to the maid, you are still responsible for the maid and it is illegal to do so. It is different if within family for e.g. your maid works to look after your mom at your mom's home. That is because you are the still the employer and you are responsible for the maid. It is not the same as someone else is employing the maid but using your permit and you have no idea what the maid is being asked to do or if anything happens...

    My suggestion is that you confirm with the immigration office again, to make sure that the rules are still the same. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is greatly informative & helpful post.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Maid Visa

    ReplyDelete

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...