Saturday 21 July 2012

First day of Ramadhan 1433H

Ramadhan 1433H

Today is the first day of fasting. We are fortunate this year that fasting started on a Saturday, a holiday and so, it has been a gentle introduction to this very rewarding month.

So, it has been the usual Saturday activities except no extra school for the kids. Going to the wet market (pasar tani), shopping at the supermarket, washing the car, having a long nap, the kids being entertained by their dad, cooking for breaking fast and lying down relaxing again. It has been a very relaxing day of fasting; of course not to forget recitation of the Qur'an. It is an annual thing for every Muslim to try and complete recitation of the entire Qur'an during this month.

This is my 3rd Ramadhan in Malaysia. I know the time of fasting is getting longer and longer in the UK. My friends told me that they have iftar at 3.40am and break their fast at 9.40pm. That is a long...time SubhanAllah. How fortunate are we that the duration for fasting in this part of the world doesn't change much. It is always from around 5.40am until 7.30pm.

I feel light this Ramadhan, I'm not talking about physical weight but I feel like a burden have been lifted off my shoulders. I feel free.... I feel my head is clear. I feel happy and excited to have the opportunity to experience this blessed month without guilt or disturbance.

Half an hour to go before the time for Iftaar (breaking fast). The Prophet SAW is so right when he said Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "Allah said, 'All the deeds of Adam's sons (people) are for them, except fasting which is for Me, and I will give the reward for it.' Fasting is a shield or protection from the fire and from committing sins. If one of you is fasting, he should avoid sexual relation with his wife and quarreling, and if somebody should fight or quarrel with him, he should say, 'I am fasting.' By Him in Whose Hands my soul is' The unpleasant smell coming out from the mouth of a fasting person is better in the sight of Allah than the smell of musk. There are two pleasures for the fasting person, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time when he will meet his Lord; then he will be pleased because of his fasting." 

Definitely, the most pleasurable moment for a fasting person is when he/she breaks his fast. I'm looking forward to breaking my fast soon...but I love you, Ramadhan.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...