Saturday 13 February 2010

First impressions

I'm not going to say much about the plane journey as it felt such a long time ago. I think it is adequate to say that traveling with four children on an aeroplane for 13 hours is pretty challenging. Nevertheless we got there in one piece despite the screaming...yup! my two year old was pretty frustrated after a whole day of no sleep, the excitement of going to the airport and getting on the plane at midnight, being served dinner at 1am and he's finally had enough! He wants his sleep...so, he started screaming and kicking and rolling on the floor until after what felt like eternity, he collapsed into a deep coma. All the other passengers heaved a sigh of relief but unfortunately, another passenger's baby started to scream but it didn't bother me, I was just glad I wasn't alone. One down three to go. Alhamdulillah my two older ones were occupied by their movie set and fell asleep later whilst my little 3 and half year old too managed to go to sleep. It was smooth sailing thereafter until it was time to land; the turbulence made us all felt sick; we had our seatbelts on and I looked across to my son, who was pale green. He said, "Mommy, I feel sick" and before anyone could do anything, he threw up on the aisle. "I'm glad there is no plane journey back, I'm glad this is just one way." I thought to myself.

The first real difference I noticed as soon as I stepped out of the plane was the atmosphere. I'm not talking about the weather which was pretty obvious but it was the atmosphere of relaxation. People were busy rushing about to get to their destination but in a more relaxed manner. There wasn't the need or urge to push past people, as though one is more important than everyone else. I could observe my surrounding and appreciate the things that are happening around me. I'm not 'blinkered' by my own life, my own individuality, like I do not need to acknowledge the presence of others. Over here, it felt like they were a part of my life and I was a part of their lives, that we shared a common space.

I could appreciate a parent consoling her crying child or a group of tourist looking around admiring what they saw or families hugging one another after such long departures. It felt good to be a part of the world.

I guess the important thing is to realise that each society will have its own norms and cultures. There is always good and bad, pros and cons. I see good things here as well as bad things but it is never good to keep comparing. For e.g. queuing is a British culture but it is not so important to queue in Malaysia; it is important to know when is your turn and give the person before you their turn. or keeping in lane is an important driving skill in Britain but not so here; but there's not much road rage cause everyone is more concerned about getting to destination in one piece. Cars and motorbikes will cut you up from right and left but it doesn't matter, there is no ego or pride. The atmosphere is definitely more relaxed....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...