Tuesday 8 January 2013

Reflecting on a driving incident

Something happened this morning. I was coming out of the junction from my home and I had to drive across this very busy main road to get to the right hand side in order to turn right. There was a long queue already and like it or not I had to cut someone up. Anyway, this guy in a Mercedes was like going 'mental'. He wind down the passenger seat where his wife (or daughter??) sat quietly and he began to shout at me. So, I wind down my window and tried to explain to him that I had to cut people up half way cause I was coming from a junction. It is not like I'm trying to be aggressive. Anyway, there was no point trying to explain anything to a moron so, I said "Never mind. It's okay. Just move along"...I said "takpe! jalan je. tak de masalah. Jalan je". Well, I think he didn't quite expect that from me and as though he was hypnotized, he wind up the window and moved on.

Anyway, the test was really for me cause I felt so angry. I have to admit (with remorse) that I was swearing and cursing and I had to apologize to my kids but that was after giving them a long lecture on how we should never be like that. We must help others and give way to them. Anyway, I dropped them off and then I thought to myself I don't EVER EVER EVER want to be like that person. I do not want to see any behavior that I hate in others manifesting in myself. I will consciously work to be the opposite of what they are. So for the rest of the day I deliberately gave way to people especially to those who are courteous enough to give signal. When a car wants to cut me up, I give way and when a car wants to cut the person behind me up, I drive a little faster to give them the space. You know what...I felt good and happy. I get the pleasure in helping others, in trying to be a better person than those who choose to allow their desires and ego to control their driving.

It reminded me of this book I'm reading which is a psychology book on 'happiness? by Ian K. Smith' It highlights in the book about happiness that is derived from material things such as a fancy car or big house is short lived. It is exciting for a little while but before we knew it the level of happiness wanes down to exactly what we felt before the car emerged. However, true happiness that is everlasting are fond memories that lingers in our minds. They are those events where it doesn't involve materialistic things e.g spending time with our family, family outings, having a nice conversation with a friend or enjoying a hobby.

The book talks about the things that really make us happy are social companionship, helping others, making a difference in someone's life, pursuing a passion, taking pride in one's work, forgiving someone and moving on.

Driving in Malaysia is stressful enough without having to add our pride and ego into the equation. 

Unfortunately, there are so many of these people driving expensive cars and yet, their behaviors do not reflect any form of civilization. Their thinking and mentality do not reflect the sophistication of their exclusive vehicle. In UK I guess they call these people 'chavs'. It is like those who have the wealth but do not know how to act the part. I don't know maybe it is a bit poncy of me but I guess the bottom line is as Muslims, we should carry ourselves with the best manners and character. I do miss driving in the UK and having people give way.

1 comment:

  1. WE should do opposite than the Moron. Malaysian is so bangga with their belongings.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...