Thursday 1 March 2012

Applying for Permanent Residency for children less than six years old in Malaysia

Another long day at Putrajaya today. Had to take annual leave just to pick up the babies permanent residency sticker.

My one simple advice to any parent who wants to apply for PR or citizenship for your children. Try to do it when the child is less than six years old. If the child is less than six years old, the process is simple and quick(er). I add the 'er' because in reality it is not actually that quick and may still take more than a year or two years. It is easier though, trust me...I'm a doctor!

So, I'm going to talk about the PR process cause I've talked about citizenship previously. Just go to the local immigration office closest to you. You have to fill up forms and do lots of photocopying. Make sure you photocopy everything and make extra copies just in case...

You and your child will be called for an interview at the immigration office. If the child is more than six years old, the interview process is more complicated involving other government agencies.

Once the interview is over and paper work sorted, you need to wait around 4-6 weeks before you will receive a letter that says "dengan sukacitanya..." meaning your application is successful.

You will then have to pick up your sticker from the main immigration office at Putrajaya. The 'permit masuk' counter is next to the 'pekerja asing' counter so, don't queue in the wrong counter. The 'entrance permit' counter is virtually empty compared to the 'foreign workers' counter.

Go and see the officer. They will take a photocopy of the letter that they sent to you in the first place, photocopy of the child's passport including the last visa sticker and photocopy of your ID. Give them the child's passport and go off for two hours for lunch or sight seeing. Come back in two hours and the passport with sticker will be returned to you. Oh! and you have to pay a fee...but please check with the immigration office as the amount may change over time.

I don't know if the government offices have become more efficient since I've moved to this country or I've just become accustomed to it. Anyway, going to Putrajaya is always a nice trip for us especially visiting the 'Pink Mosque' by the lake.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog post. I'm in a similar position, looking to move back to Malaysia after 13 years in London. Looking to apply for a PR for my 8 month old son. Annoyingly, there is no information on the Immigration Dept website about PR for child of a Malaysian citizen. Can you please provide more information about how you went about doing it? What forms to ask for and so on? You can write to me at jingersnap at gmail dot com. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Jin. Thank you for your comment.

      Before applying for PR, you have to apply for social visit pass first. It is renewed every 6 months for 3 times (if I remember correctly) before you can apply for your child's PR. This has to be done before your child's first social pass visa (automatically given when he/she enters the country if from the UK)

      I went to the Immigration office at Shah Alam, Selangor. First, you queue at the information counter and ask for "PR for a child less than 6 years old application". They will give you a form and some brief information on all the documents you will need to provide and photocopy. This includes your ID card, child's birth certificate, your marriage certificate, spouse ID card or passport, child's passport. I can't remember but possibly even your passport when the child was born. Basically bring every possible formal document you can possibly think of.

      You can fill the form there and do your photocopying or come back at another time. Bring your completed form and documents (photocopy and original) to the information counter and they will give you a number. Your number will be called and you hand in your forms and documents at the appropriate counter. They will give you a date for an interview. The process begins and hopefully you will receive the PR.

      This is based on my personal experience and considering that I came from the UK; it might differ if you come from US or Australia or some place else. Also, the process and rules change from time to time hence, apologies if this approach no longer applies.

      All the best for your relocation.

      Delete
    2. correction: before your child's first social pass visa expires (either automatically given at entrance to the country or applied at country of origin)

      Delete
  2. Hi. Do you know how to renew/extend the permit masuk? I'm lucky enough that my kids were granted permit masuk few years ago and the permit is expiring in January 2015 as per their passports expiry dates. I know I have to renew it in Malaysia but do you know how and what documents do I need and is there a time frame to apply? Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. My advice is for you to renew your child's passport first as they will not be able to extend your child's permit if the passport is expired. Just make sure you have photocopies/scan copies in case...You can apply to renew the visa at any immigration. You can get the borang which will include check list of all documents they require. Best to bring all documents original and photocopies including parents IC, child's birth certificate, parents marriage cert, child passport etc...etc...It was a long time ago for me but hope this helps. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I am so Glad i found your blog post. My father-in-Law in Malaysia, He has a permanent resident (PR). His age is around 77 years old. He start the journey to Malaysia around 60 years. He is doing grocery business in Penang. He is not well right now? He need help from his family. He want to bring her daughter to Malaysia for his support. How to apply visa for my wife in (Malaysia).

    1.What is the document requirements and fees?
    2.How long process it should be take?
    3.What kind of visa suitable for her?
    4.She want to stay with her father long time.
    5.She's a Indian Nationality.


    you can email to me at ib.sultan@gmail.com, any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Far Ari, I came across your blog and would like to ask a few questions regarding obtaining PR for my child. I'm Malaysian and my husband is Mauritian citizen. He is also holding Australian citizenship. I'm planning to give birth in KL and really confused and lost regarding my child status. We want him to obtain Australian citizenship but on another hand, we want him to get a Malaysian PR. Do you think that is possible? If yes, could you please send me some links or who to go? Thank you for your time and help, much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about obtaining an Australian citizenship but I'm sure if your husband can get the information from the Australian embassy. Normally, the citizenship goes by the father's nationality (used to be anyway) so that shouldn't be a problem. You will have to register the birth of your baby as usual in KL and you can start applying for PR for your baby. Best to do it when your child is young (less than 5 years old). Nowadays the rules might have changed and your child may get Malaysian citizenship. Best to call up the immigration office or go there personally to find out. The important thing is to do it early in your child's life and to get all the documents ready which will include things such as ID card, passport, marriage certificate etc...etc...

      Delete

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...