Wednesday 31 March 2010

Missing UK

31st March 2010

I was feeling UK-sick today. I don't know why. Generally I feel happier here in Malaysia. Of course having family close by is the source of all happiness but also I am enjoying work.

At the same time, I'm feeling a bit like 'fish out of water'. I miss certain things in the UK. I miss my friends. I went for lunch today and walking around, it suddenly dawned on me that I missed UK. I miss certain things like everyone speaking with an English accent or listening to the BBC news and sarcasm...hmmm...what would I do without sarcasm??? I miss watching Doctor Who, although I believe the new series have not started yet. I miss having salads. I miss going to work and actually knowing what I'm doing like which forms to fill in, who to refer to and which medications I'm allowed or not allowed to prescribe.

I know this is all new to me and it is normal to feel out of place or lack of knowledge in a new environment. There's so much to learn and I miss my 'comfort' zone. I don't know how I would feel if I was back in the UK even for a holiday. It would be really weird and I think I would feel absolutely devastated if I did have to go back for whatever reason; other than a short holiday to visit friends.

Things are much more relaxed here. Everyone just seem to take their own sweet time and it is nice to be able to talk to anyone anywhere. I was on my way home from work and there was a dreadful traffic jam. We were barely moving at all so, I stopped by the petrol station. Whilst I was filling up, the lady who works there asked if I was okay and I just started chatting to her, asking her if she knew why there was a traffic jam. She told me there's flooding and so, just started asking her how long she's been working there. She told me she's worked there for years and that is where she finds her Rizk; I told her that the only thing that is important is to find Halaal Rizk and she agreed. She started cleaning my windscreen and afterwards, I drove back into the traffic jam feeling very relaxed.

These were the kind of things I missed when I was in the UK, just genuine encounters with people. People who would give you their time and not look at you like you're about to blow them up! People who smile at you from their hearts and not eye you with mistrust. Sometimes in the UK people do smile back at me after I smile at them, I usually smile at people even if they look at me in a weary way. Still, it is not the same...May Allah always preserve the Iman and the love in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...