Saturday 12 May 2018

The people have spoken. And finally, this is why I came back to Malaysia.


I am writing in this blog again.
I wanted to write for so long but every time I started to write, I felt I sounded like a child having a tantrum, or a moaning teenager or perhaps a grumpy nagging old lady.  In the end, I just deleted my post. I had so much to say, so much frustration and yet, I couldn’t vent it out…afraid that it won’t do justice to the real situation that plagued this country and afraid of being chastised or worse, locked up. 
But everything changed on the 10th of May 2018. 
People often ask me, why I came back to Malaysia? I knew why but I couldn’t show it. I couldn’t even show it to my children, whom I knew deep down inside perhaps questioned my decision. I knew they probably felt resentful that I uprooted them from their place of birth but they were too polite to say so. I couldn’t show my reason to them because, the gem, the jewel, the wonderful country that I left in 1992 was lost, or missing. I came back and Narnia was in the hands of the snow queen. Yet, I couldn’t explain it, I couldn’t put my finger on it and I couldn’t prove it. Something was wrong…something was missing. 

On the 10th May 2018 I stayed up until 4.30 am and something unbelievable happened. Something that everyone thought was an impossible dream became reality. Even when I saw the counted votes on screen, I couldn’t believe it and I was afraid to breathe out, to let out the air in my lungs just in case, I can never get it back again. As the counting votes came in, my heart pounded faster and harder. I had to blink a few times to make sure I wasn’t seeing things. Perhaps my weary eyes were playing tricks on me but it wasn’t. The opposition had won the simple majority and can form the new government.
When the kids woke up, they were excited and we waited and waited for the swearing in of our new Prime Minister, Tun Dr Mathathir and having this fear that at any moment, it would be taken away from us. It was a big test indeed. A test for the people on our patience and trust towards our Parliamentary system, the system of Constitutional Monarchy. It was a test to see how much we trusted Yang Di Pertuan Agung and the entire proses of governance. I think for most of us, it was the first time we actually bothered to spend the whole day listening to the updates and news.
For 60 years since independence (1957) Barisan National Coalition was the ruling party and the lay man (most of the people) do not know the proses of forming a government. Two days ago, we had a crash course on it. We waited from 9.30 am and then, press release said Tun Mahathir has been given an audience with the current Yang Di Pertuan Agung (Grand King) at 5 pm. I was sending some friends to KL Sentral so we drove past the Istana Negara (Royal Palace) and it was packed with people, carrying flags and banners. We honk at them celebrating in this joyous occasion. Everyone was excited and nervous at the same time. At 9.30 pm I think the whole country was glued in front of the television or online live streaming. The anticipation grew, of course we were all worried about riots but so proud of my Malaysians who stool firm with patience and perseverance. Finally, at 10 pm, we saw our most respected aged ex-Prime Minister sworn in by our trusted Yang Di Pertuan Agung as the new Prime Minister, promising to right the wrongs of this country and admitted to his own mistakes in the past. For most of us growing up in the 80s and 90s we remember Tun Mahathir as the Prime Minister that put Malaysia on the map. I have fond memories of him and fond memories of my childhood and growing up under his care and rule.
My kids were glued in front of the TV. For the last three years since me and my husband formed a coalition with a manifesto to ensure our children will be individuals who can think for themselves, independent and knowledgeable. Believe me, it was an uphill struggle to get them to read the newspaper, to understand history, to think about the political situation, to even be interested but in one day, every effort, every sweat, every tear and every hardship we went through finally bear fruit.
They were amazed and it gave them the realization that history was being made. The term ‘peristiwa dalam sejarah’ became a reality. They felt like the country was reborn and they were present and involved in this historic moment. They felt that sense of pride, belonging and most importantly, the understanding that the power belongs to the people. This was a victory for Malaysians. For most of the Malaysians who have had enough of the power, greed, corruption and injustice towards the people of this country, the people have spoken!
My daughter (18 years old) said, she was proud to be a Malaysian.
My son (15 years old) said, “I am so glad we came back to Malaysia. You made the right decision, Mom”
A day before the election, I WhatsApp them and I said, “I am so sorry for bringing you into this world that is full of corruption and injustice.” I asked for their forgiveness and I prayed for a better future. A day after, God answered my prayers.
The exuberance, the joy, the RELIEF…that we can now express all the frustration that we felt, no more silence, no more pretending that everything is okay, that the economy is okay and the country's economy is doing great, that it is okay to lose one plane and another one shot down! That it is okay to let two high profile foreign individuals assassinated in our soil! And to have the highest official in this country embroiled in an international money laundering scam! And that it is okay to sack those who dare to question or speak the Truth. None of it is okay.
Two days ago, the people sent a message to the previous leader and subsequent leaders that they need to serve the people and this beloved country. That the good people of this country will not remain silent whilst all these corruptions are happening around us. We will not tolerate such treachery. We will take action even if it is a small action of putting an ‘X’ on a ballot paper to ensure the rights of the people. 
Slowly, the truth is unveiling. It is going to be a difficult and tedious process and I realize that Tun Mahathir and his new cabinet will have a major task ahead of them but I have confidence in Tun and this new government, the likes of Tan Sri Muhyiddin, our previous deputy Prime Minister who was sacked by the previous PM for questioning the 1MDB scandal and many others. We have confidence that they will work to right the wrongs of the past, to solve the wrongs of the previous government and to bring the country back on the right course, towards a better future InshaAllah. The people are watching more than ever with earnest and sincerity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...