Wednesday 21 March 2012

Finding a golden gem

Most of the time as a doctor, I hope to give strength to my patients...but sometimes it is the patient who gives strength to me. Today I met an amazing lady who brought her brother to consult me. As we chatted through the consultation, she told me her story. Her 17-year old son died of cancer a few years ago and she spoke about the time they spent together and how she looked after him. She spoke about his strength as a young person dealing with a terminal illness.

She told me the story of how she helped her son come to terms with the diagnosis and the possibility of death. She told him to face each day as it comes, to not think about death but what you can do everyday whilst you're still alive. She told him that his illness came from Allah...no one would ask for such a thing for themselves and how she would rather ask Allah to give the illness to her than to her son but Allah chose him and it is a blessing because it means that Allah loves him.

She spoke of his last moments and listening to her, I couldn't help but to feel humbled. I was inspired by her strength, her acceptance of the situation and how she dealt with it in such an honorable way. I know there are so many carers out there who are like her, who use their tragic experience to help and give strength to others.

For me, the best part of my job is to find these golden gems. These are people who may not radically change the world but they inspire the people around them. They are the people who radiate with compassion and strength. I am so blessed to have such patients... they give me more than what I could possibly give to them. May Allah SWT reward her for her patience.

2 comments:

  1. alhamdulillah ..thank you for sharing this story ..
    may we all be as strong as her ..insyaaAllah ..
    "If your future scares you & your past still hurts you. Then remember Allah, who will never fail you .."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. U are an inspiration too Alhamdulillah

      Delete

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...