Wednesday 4 August 2010

My amazing children

My 7-year old and I spent time together reciting Juz Amma. He has a strange mind, sometimes I think he is imaginative but sometimes I think he lives in another planet. I love talking to my kids as they have such an amazing mind and a different way of viewing things.

However, they do need guidance as human beings need guidance...and they need direction in order to become successful people in this world and the next. This week, we were reciting surah Al-Bayyinah and to make things more interesting, we read the tafsir and I tried to explain certain things to him.

لَمۡ يَكُنِ ٱلَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ مِنۡ أَهۡلِ ٱلۡكِتَـٰبِ وَٱلۡمُشۡرِكِينَ مُنفَكِّينَ حَتَّىٰ تَأۡتِيَہُمُ ٱلۡبَيِّنَةُ

This is an extract of our conversation.

Malik: Mummy, why was Daddy a Christian? (my husband is a revert to Islam)

Me: because he didn’t know about Islam

Malik: How did he become Muslim?

Me: He met some Muslims and they told him about Islam.

Malik: Oh! And they talk to him about Islam and he said ‘okay, I will become Muslim’.

Me: Yes

Malik: Oh! That’s good. They must have been very polite.

(I thought to myself 'what an amazing association, to link politeness and good character as a motivating factor for another person to become a Muslim')

Continue reciting and reading the meaning...


Malik: When will Khilafah come?

Me: When Allah wants it to come.

Malik: Oh! I can’t wait to see the Khilafah. I wonder what he will look like.

Me: Khilafah is not a person. It is a state, a country

Malik: Oh! Can we go there?

Me; No Malik, it is not there yet.

(How incredible! To him, the Khilafah is visual and something tangible like a person and when I told him it is a country (a state), he wants to go there. To him it is real and not abstract)

Continue discussing about surat Al-Baiyinah...

“Those who believe and do righteous good deeds...”

Me: see Malik, we cannot just believe, we must also do what Allah tells us to do.

Malik: But how? We cannot hear him!

Me: (LOL!) Malik!...that’s why we read the Qur’an because this is Allah’s Words. Allah is talking to us in the Qur’an and telling us what to do la....

Malik: Oh.....

I love to hear my children express their thoughts, to say what is in their mind, to ask questions and be inquisitive. However, not in the Western view of individualism and capitalism and selfishness but in a way that they want to get to the Truth, to get closer to Allah.

O Allah! Please make my children strong worshippers of You, adherent to the Truth, with patience and steadfastness. Amin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...