Wednesday 30 January 2013

"The Impossible" : thoughts on the movie

Thursday 24th January 2013 was holiday for Maulidur Rasul and Monday 28th January 2013 was holiday for Thaipusam. The best thing about Malaysia is all the holidays! This Friday 1st of February 2013 is Hari Wilayah but unfortunately no holidays for me cause I don't work in Wilayah and then 11th February 2013 is Chinese New Year. Hooray! more holidays.

Anyway, last Monday I went to see "The Impossible" with my daughter. We shared this large popcorn between us and I have not eaten so much popcorn in my life!

The movie was fantastic. It was of course based on the true horrifying experience of a British family on holiday in Thailand during the Christmas period of 2004 when the deadly Asian tsunami struck. The actual footage of the tsunami was too much to fathom. It was terrifying.

However, it was not simply a disaster movie. It was about an experience of a boy and his mom, the strong bond between them, her lessons for him, to be brave, selfless, giving... Some people will call me a delusional optimist but I believe that everyone has the ability to become a better person. Sometimes a disaster may bring out the worst in people, it may bring out the worst form of individualism, selfishness, anger, panic, irritability but on the other hand, it may bring out the best in people....strength, courage, patience, selflessness, compassion, responsibility and leadership.

This movie truly lifted my spirits. It was one of those movies that made me feel really happy because despite everything that could potentially go wrong in this life...a person can come out the other side better, stronger, wiser and most importantly more compassionate.

To me, this was by far one of the best movies I've watched within the last 12 months.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, criticisms and praises welcome but please be intelligent.

IN SEARCH OF THIS TRUTH

  I am in a quest to search for THIS truth. People ask, 'why are you still searching for the truth?’  You have found Islam.  You believe...